Thursday, July 13, 2017

Writing Books...I mean Books on Writing~ "The Story Cure".

Other kids collected dead bugs or fruit and vegetable stickers (I think they did, anyway). I had my collection of books on how to write books. Roughly 2/3 of my brother's black spray-painted bookshelf held my writing books. I loved them because you could read them, and when you were in a tight spot in a story, crack them back open and inspire yourself or troubleshoot your problems. It was like having a friend right beside your keyboard or notebook. 

I sort of still feel that way. 






I was really excited to be able to review a book on writing. "The Story Cure: A Book Doctor's Pain-Free Guide to Finishing Your Novel or Memoir" by Dinty W. Moore 

...No, not that one... 

is probably the most friendly-toned book on improving writing that I have ever read. That may not sound like a lot, but when you're in real story trouble, that's useful. And encouraging. And that is a lot of what this book is: encouragement. 

It's separated into chapters to diagnose the illness your writing may have picked up, and each comes with examples to make sure the cure for it is clear. 

That said, if you've had the luck to be in a really great creative writing class, you probably are quite familiar with most of the advice. For that reason, I'd recommend this first to people who haven't had that experience, because it will come in handy in more ways than you can imagine. 

But, there were still things to be learned here even if you've had the luxury of good advice or a wonderful mentor...
like the "invisible magnetic river", a term I will probably remember for the rest of my life. It refers to the pull of the story-how lovely is that? I found his attitude in dealing with revising and how he goes about it to be really helpful, too. 

If you're writing, and kind of lost...Or just lost and haven't been able to write (a place I find myself too often these days) this will help. I'd say grab a copy of this and make yourself some tea. 

This is a light, inspiring reference read you'll probably go through many times in the journey to finish your story. 

**I received this book from Blogging for Books


No comments:

Post a Comment