Saturday, July 29, 2017

Vegetarian Cookbooks Kind of Suck.

What? They do. 

It's either filled with things my kids will never, ever touch (I'm looking at you, Kale, you stemmy bastard of the greens) or with recipes we are already using in a rotation. 

That's the other thing, you get very conscious of how often you are eating the same thing once you cut out a food group. Which, even then, we haven't entirely cut out all white meat for blood iron and convenience reasons, but we have not bought any red meat at all for weeks (and honestly, I don't miss having to deal with it). 



Our grocery list consists a lot more of grains, beans (canned), and nuts than it ever did before, along with what we can get that is affordable as far as produce goes. I have purchased more stock and seasonings and purees, too. I wasn't noticing a price drop in shopping until recently, and it's modest, but still a plus. 

That said, we're still hunting down REALISTIC cookbooks for not eating meat. Pinterest does help. I mean, I had no idea until recently that you could just mix canned pumpkin with a cake or brownie boxed mix and end up with a viable, not super unhealthy desert. So, yeah, it's useful, but you run into a lot of the same stuff. 

What isn't inaccessible as far as $$ ingredients go is often super time-consuming. Which, for various reasons, I can not budge on. 

And with sensory-processing disorders and Asperger's Syndrome in my house, there are some recipes that are not going to even be attempted. I like to think all of my children are doing pretty well with variety, but some tastes and textures are out of bounds and I refuse to make them miserable for something as wonderful as food. 

So, we're mostly left with our regular rotations-pastas, beans, cheeses, rice, peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese, eggs...which the kids all love. But we're still looking for more variety that works. And, as with all cooking I think, you try a lot of recipes and discover ones that work, and those get added into meal plans. 

We did snag two helpful books, though. One is very price conscious and you can download it in PDF form at no cost, but the recipe book itself is handy and not expensive. 


Not everything in here would work for us, but a lot of it did. It's not entirely vegetarian, but most of the recipes are or can be adjusted. With easy to find ingredients and easy to execute instructions, if I had to live off of one single cookbook forever, it would probably be this one. Plus, it's amazing what the author did as far as giving out copies, so this entire recipe book is just a big win in my eyes. You can find this and Leanne Brown's other works here.



My other score cracked everyone up with its profanity. Thug Kitchen 101: Fast as F*ck addresses the problems of timing pretty well. We still ran into a lot of omitting stuff that my family would cringe at, but the techniques and pantry recommendations are still worth it. That and the cussing. It's inspired me to try some new things, which is what makes a recipe book work I think. They have other books as well, and a neat website at http://www.thugkitchen.com/101

So those are the only two workable vegetarian cookbooks I've found so far, but I'll keep looking, and let me know of any recommendations that have worked for you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment