Friday, May 26, 2017

Wrapping Your Head Around It.

I began to study covering my hair awhile back and learning some of the techniques. It's an artform, no question. 

I can think of a few more controversial topics other than head-covering, but it's definitely on most people's-most women's-top ten. Here's a pretty good article on the subject if you want some history on it. And there is a lot of history since many different cultures engage in it. Chances are if you are lucky enough to be in possession of ancient family photographs, you will see someone in headgear of some various type. Some Native American tribes like the Yuchi, Natchez, Creek and Shawnee wore turbans (though that was a boys only thing back then).

There is some argument on whether it came into practice before religion, but from the practical standpoint of protecting your head and cleanliness, I would bet that it did. 

The truth is the decision to wrap your hair probably won't be cut and dry. Many do so for religion, including Christianity. For others, it's spiritual. For some, it's illness. For others, fashion. 

I'd spent another day on a scan table for hours that couldn't accommodate a pillow, and my head was killing me, again, when someone from my support group talked about why she wrapped her hair. 

It sort of stuck as an idea. I'd covered my hair before, but not in the way she had. It was beautiful. The suggestion for those of us facing scary medical stuff is to reward ourselves for the medical hurdles we have to leap with new accessories or scarves, and each time we wear those, we are reminded of our bravery. It also saves me wasting time on styling my hair, which is incredibly thick and long enough again now to be a problem, at a time in my life where I've been told I might actually be running short of time. 

And, if you are lying down on those medical treatment or exam stations for long periods of time, it's slightly less uncomfortable. 

For the most part, I wrap my hair because this is a new time in my life where I have to be a warrior. I have to be a queen. And there are no other options because sick or not, those of us with families have to be that. Wearing something that makes me feel that way has helped psychologically, I can tell. There is an element of spirituality for me with it, but it's more of a private thing. I was taught pretty early on to be ashamed of my hair, too. It was the first thing a lot of people made fun of. This takes it off the table. 

Every person who decides to cover has their own complicated story, all of them are fascinating. 

If you find yourself called to it, don't be afraid of it. And don't treat anyone you see in head coverings any different if you aren't. 

The beauty lies in the choice. 

I don't think anyone should be forced to either cover or bare their hair. The choice, the intricacies of how we express our souls to the world, is the beauty and power behind it. 

For me, it's armor for the coming storms PH brings. It's a marker for my growth and change... sickness forces so much negativity into life-but the growth part, the bravery, is a positive. 





A lot of the scarves I have and the headbands have come from Wrapunzel, an organization who also donates scarves to those fighting cancer, which is amazing. So, if you are looking for a good selection from a place set on doing good in the world, that's your stop. 




No comments:

Post a Comment