Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Into the Belly of the Wolf...

Day 1 has passed of National Novel Writing Month, how'd you do?

I ended the day with just over 1000 words. Which, I'll count as good. I'll count that as workable. 
More is better. But this is okay.

I wrote my first novel after bringing home my second newborn. A few times my husband was startled by the alarm on the keyboard at night because I'd fallen asleep with my face hitting the shift key. I once typed five pages of the letter "M" by doing the same thing. A friend suggested I work it into the story next time. "Something smelled great. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...It was the chicken." 

And, if that happens again, I'll consider adding it into the damn novel. 

Many swear by writing during the daytime. I can't do it. Or, I can rarely do it. 

My brain space is not open for business during peak hours. It's only as silence enters the house and bedtime finally arrives that I can dream, or write. I'm in the night-owl camp. Which means I usually need a freaking nap and a coffee after the nap. 


The juggling act of three children, with two in a fast-paced charter school, is a different animal than years ago when I had a toddler and a new baby. A stronger animal. And a needier, louder one. 

Uniforms have to be ready. Lunches packed. Shopping trips taken to make sure we can eat. I've given up on the house being company-ready, but it has to be clean enough for us to function. Bills have to be paid, and, not least of all, everyone needs quality time (usually outside). Especially the baby, whose brain development is still incredibly rapid. My husband helps out without missing a beat, which I feel guilty over. He has a demanding job. And this is supposed to be what I DO, right? 

This is what I do. Along with writing and illustrating. 

It's a balancing act.

Trying to finish 50k plus words while not being a shitty mom. 

And if 1,000 words is all I can get at the end of the day, snuggled in the calm of having taken care of everything, then it has be okay. And maybe some days will be easier than others. Or I keep telling myself that will happen. 
NaNoWriMo Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment