Monday, May 23, 2016

The Haunting of Little Ghost and Reading for Emotional Reasons.

One of the new players in my second book is the coyote woman hybrid, Little Ghost. I'm not sharing a photo of her werewolf form yet, but this is her first complete character sketch. Little Ghost is followed by a dog-headed shadow, the size of a man. Though it guards her, if she ever glimpses it even for a moment, it will murder her. 

Her deadly protector first showed up when she was a toddler, and in mortal danger. Its limitations on her were spoken out loud only once, and by a voice she can't identify. I won't reveal too much about it, or the origin of her protector, but the reason Little Ghost wears a ribbon over her neck is that she has a scar from the first attempt on her life. 


One of the scariest folktales of my childhood was that of the girl with the ribbon on her neck, she wears it throughout her life and marries and has children, always refusing the man who loves her the truth on why she wears it.

When she finally shows him, she takes off the ribbon, and her head falls off of her body.

No, that's not what's going to happen here. It was just one of my inspirations in creating her character and the literally haunting backstory that follows her. 

Speaking of haunting (actually this has very little to do with that, but work with me, I needed an opening..)

Other than text books or bedtime stories, I haven't finished a lot of books the past few years. 

I don't often get to see my grandparents, though they are local. I have no real excuse for that. It's one of those things you have to make happen. Until I can, we just sort of send things back and forth (although, it's usually them sending me or the kids gifts) and recently my grandmother sent me this book.
Pardon the moving box and the ugly horse blanket.
 I love that stupid blanket, though.
 
I've never seen the film, never read it. It never struck me, though everyone who has had any interaction with it has told me it's great, to pick it up. But, she took the trouble to give it to me, and I'm going to finish it.

One of my professors who taught university English once gave me a book, written by the same author who did The Outsiders. It was a horror novel called Hawkes Harbor. I hadn't written my first book yet, I remember even sitting down and telling her I refused to call myself a writer until I'd completed at least one novel. I can't remember now how she noticed I liked horror, but she dug through her personal collection and gave me that book. And I still have it. We've moved several times, and it has barely survived the storage stays its had through it all, but I will always keep it. And the theme of holding onto your sanity in the deepest pits of darkness. 

If someone cares about you enough to share a book with you, freaking read it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment